Thank you for your continued support of the Birmingham Civic Society. Without it we would be unable to carry out as much of the work and activities that we do, which engender civic pride across the whole of Birmingham – the city centre, inner city, neighbourhoods and the suburbs beyond.
We have had a busy year and hope that you have been able to be involved in some of the many events and activities. During the past year:
- Our Trees Committee has, through Birmingham Trees for Life, planted our 58,500th tree, including the 50,000th in the City Centre Gardens on 3rd December with the Lord Mayor. Birmingham Trees for Life continues to protect and enhance the environment in partnership with businesses, local communities, the City Council and hundreds of schoolchildren.
- The 2015 Renaissance Award was assessed by our Planning Committee and has been awarded to Stirchley Baths. The Planning Committee continue to be actively involved in commenting on development within our city, including recent consultation on the proposed Smithfield masterplan.
- We have continued to promote active citizenship amongst the city’s children and young people through our Next Generation Awards, now in their 11th year. Since the programme started, we have engaged with over 24,500 school children across the city. This year, we are funding and implementing the winning and runner-up ideas – demonstrating a really change to our local communities.
- Our Heritage Committee have recognised and celebrated Birmingham’s heritage, erecting a Blue Plaque to Kate Bunce, a prominent Birmingham artist of the Arts and Crafts movement and most recently a History Plaque for Moseley Rugby Club, one of the world’s oldest Rugby Clubs.
- We hosted our popular annual Leaders’ Breakfast in November and our Spring Reception for corporate members, at which, Craig Rowbottom from Birmingham City Council presented the growth agenda in Birmingham up to 2030.
- We relaunched our website which better demonstrates the positive impact that that the Society has upon the city.
- The development of our 5 year +PLUS Strategy started in March – which included consultation with our members, non-members and some key stakeholders in the city about the Society.
We have also increased our events programme for members and guests, based around our ‘People, Places, Pride’ theme. These have included a behind the scenes tour of the Electric Cinema, the Lord Mayor guiding us through the Council House, and a walking tour of the city centre to name just a few. The series has been very popular and well attended which we think demonstrates how important it is for the Society to be celebrating the People of our city – past, present and future; promoting the Places around city – where people live, work and play; and as we do this, the Pride that we all have in our city will grow. There are plenty of events planned, so please see our website for further details.
We are well into planning the celebrations and events for our Centenary Year, which starts in June 2017 and we look forward to sharing these plans in more detail with you in due course.
Our Trustees continue to focus all subscriptions on delivering the activities above, which are fundamental to the Society’s goals and ambitions, and by volunteers continuing to support us in so many ways, we have been able to keep our annual subscriptions at the same rate for the fourth year running:
- £30 Individual membership
- £45 Joint membership
- £200 Corporate membership
Full details on how to pay are on our website.
We very much hope that you choose to renew your membership, and thank you again to those that have already done so. If you have paid by standing order, we would be very grateful if you would check your bank statements to confirm that the amount paid matches the current subscription rates.
Once again, thank you for your continuing support and I very much look forward to seeing you at our AGM in November.